Well we had a very eventful Halloween. I didn't work on Friday, we were supposed to be heading to my mom and dad's to dress Addi up in her costume and pass out candy. They get a TON of trick or treaters and we get none (who wants to walk miles between houses). I put Addi down for her mid morning nap about 8am. I went outside to turn the horses out into pasture. Dixie was already out so I thought I would just jump on Tilly bareback without a halter and ride her out. I have done this a million times before, I know it was stupid but I really trust Tilly. Anyways Tilly took off running for some reason but I wasn't too worried until I saw Dixie running as hard as she can straight for us. The two horses smacked into each other both running as fast as they can well needless to say I was just a bug on the windshield. The force of the horses impact sent me flying. When I came to I thought well good I didn't die! But the pain in my ankle was so BAD. My boot was at a 90 degree angle. I had to get the boot off before my ankle swelled. I knew it was going to hurt but the real kicker was being a half mile from the house with no phone at hand. I have never wished so hard to have neighbors close. I was in bad shape, my right ankle bone was completely smashed to the left side and my foot was on the same level as my leg. I could have touched my toe to my shin bone! Anyways I crawled on hands and knees about a half mile to the house. It probably took about 45 minutes. Shane got to me very quickly and we headed to the ER. Addi slept the whole time. We had a friend come help us with Addi until Shane's mom could get there. She accidentally locked Addi in her pickup. So the police came and unlocked her car. I was glad I was kinda out of it for all that. The ER doctor decided to put me to sleep just to reposition my ankle. The Dilaudid wasn't cutting it. We waited for the Orthopedic surgeon to finish his cases at Mountain View before he could come over to EIRMC and operate on me. He came highly recommended from the general surgeon I work for. I was in surgery for about two hours. Luckily my parents came up from Utah to help. The surgeon said it was a whole lot worse when he got in there, one of the worse broken ankles he has seen. I had broke both ankle bones. I have a steel plate and about 6 screws. I have to be in a soft cast until the swelling goes down. I have a long recovery ahead. I can't even touch my foot to the ground for 6 weeks and then I am in a walking cast for 4 more weeks. I want to say thanks to all the friends and family who have called or came by. We appreciate your prayers and well wishes.Here is a picture of Addi playing on her moms new walker.

5 comments:
We were so excited to find your blog, but so not excited about your weekend!! Wish we were closer to help.:( You're in our prayers!:)
Oh my heck! I'm glad to hear you are okay. Let me know if I can help!
Well, I hope things get better! I broke my wrist once going off a horse, but I didn't have the whole funky 90 degree angle thing going on (eeww)! Have you guys talked to your Relief Society President about getting some meals in for a little while? It might be a good idea. I'll be sending a package before too long.
Oh my gosh, can I bring you dinner or come over and clean for you or anything. That is horrible! I haven't seen you in a while so this would be a good excuse for me to come over and visit. Please call me!
WOW! I am so sorry!!!!!!! I'm glad you weren't hurt any worse. Let me know if I can do anything for you!!!!!
Post a Comment